What is Doug's WILD Ride?

3/1/10

Lessons of Life

I received the following from a reader.  I thought it to be quite poignant; he lost his son.  He gave three lessons of life:

1) No matter how much we wish otherwise, some things can not be changed.

2) No matter what it is, you don't have to lose the present moment to it.

3) All of life is about loss; rather than morn the loss, figure out what to do with what you have left.

It doesn't matter what your loss is; child, parent, dog, sibbling, friend.  And it doesn't matter how you lost it.  If you loved someone or something and it's gone, you have to deal with the new reality.

Those are tough lessons to learn; you hope you never have to learn them.  Another friend once put it like this: "If money can fix it, it's not much of a problem." 

So yesterday, when I was pulling into the garage, and kissed the garage door frame with my car, I thought "Damn! I wish I hadn't done that!"  But that was it.  No cursing, no outbursts.  Pretty minor stuff, but not a bad example.  For a hundred bucks or so I can fix it.  No problem.

On another subject, I decided I had to do something about my depression, it was just dragging me down.  I tried to just accept it and hope it would go away, but it just got worse.  I've always had to deal with depression; what causes it is anyones guess.  I went to my family doctor and he put me on a antidepressant.  Only been a week, but I see an improvement already.  I'm not happy, but no more bad thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment